Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wresting

Easy does it. Who would have thunk it?

An ex-boss once told me that I had a “sense of urgency” about me. She told me she was glad that I had it due to the nature of our deadline oriented work, but I might want to ease up a bit. I am one of those folks recovery literature talks about that is “a victim of the delusion that he can wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this world if he only manages well.” I  looked up the word ‘wrest’ and it says: to twist or turn; pull, jerk or force by violent twist. That’s me alright.

I read once in some Buddhist literature that approaching tasks with “ease and attention” is most effective. My innate style, although, is the first - twist, turn, pull, jerk or force by violent twist. So many of our meeting rooms have slogans framed on our walls as reminders of these age-old bits of wisdom. A friend of mine who is not in a 12-step program referred to them as our “bumper sticker philosophies”. Works for me.

I don’t think it would have ever crossed my mind that easy would ever do anything, except maybe get me out of those dime store Chinese finger handcuffs. I have always been sure that I better worry, calculate, pre-meditate and endlessly cogitate on anything I plan to do. Then, it would behoove me to bear down on what ever the task may be, like my very life depends on it. And god forbid anything goes wrong. If it does, I better fix it quickly before anyone finds out what a loser I am. Thinking like this does nothing to keep me sane or serene. It is no more effective than the easier, softer way either.

So, as I face today, I will try to remember “Easy does it”. Life throws enough twists, pulls, jerks and violent twists at me without me creating more. Today I will focus on approaching things with ease and attention.

Wish me luck. 

Hold that thought...
James

 

2 comments:

  1. "Efforting" is a concept I've learned in yoga. It means to expand energy in a direction without applying it to moving in that direction.

    An example is when you are in a hurry and want to walk fast. Leaning forward feels natural but it's efforting -- it doesn't help you move faster. To reach your goal faster, it's more efficient to move your legs at a faster pace while keeping your body upright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks apel....there is something to think about. It's action thing I guess.

    ReplyDelete