Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Life is Dukkha

Life is Dukkha.

I was reading a little bit about Buddha's First Noble Truth this morning after reading a blog post by a young addict struggling with physical pain and the urge take pain pills. I Googled the Buddha's quote while pondering suffering. I was remembering that as a young pampered prince, it was seeing a suffering man that set the Buddha off on his journey to enlightenment.

First let me say, I am in no way an expert on Buddhism. I can hardly spell it, much less teach it, but I am much more respectful of the followers of these teachings than I am the followers of any other religion.

So, remembering the Buddha's first noble truth as "Life is suffering", I Googled it. Turns out the Buddha didn't speak English. Go figure. He actually said that life is 'Dukkha." First it made me snicker. Sounds a little like "Life is Doo Doo", but that would be more like James First Less-Than-Noble Truth.

There is really no English translation for Dukkha. He describes Dukkha as suffering, but also as anything impermanent or changing, or any state which is dependent on anything else. So, Dukkha can also be happiness or bliss or any other state which is subject to change, which is just about anything.

So when I am having a shitty day, is it because life is Dukkha? When I am having a good day is it because life is Dukkha? No, the Buddha might just be suggesting the shit or the bliss is something fleeting. That I just need to pass through it, gently, today. Not cling to it, not judge it, not resist it, not fear it, just pass through it. Of course I could always be completely wrong.

Today. One day. Just for today. One day at a time. Sounds like there are a few "Noble Truths" lurking behind a few of the slogans in recovery.

So, as I trudge my road today, I am likely to step in something resembling Dukkha. I will most likely be okay if I just recognize it as just that, Dukkha, and just keep walking, no fear, no clinging, no resistance.

Let's try this one more day.

Hold that thought...
James

No comments:

Post a Comment