Thursday, January 13, 2011

Gratification First

I actually have a friend who likes to plan things in advance so that she can enjoy the anticipation. I find that baffling. Everything in me screams for instant gratification.
I’m the guy who decides to get a new a car in the morning and goes to a dealership after work and buys one off the lot. Most times I am likely paying more for less. While this makes me very popular with car salesmen, it would appear to the untrained eye that I have not a brain in my tiny little head. When in fact, I consider myself to be of average intelligence.
If I order something online, chances are I will pay over-night shipping even when regular shipping is free. I do this regardless of when I really need the item. One may even wonder whether at some time in my life the oxygen supply may have been cut off to my brain. As possible as that actually may be, I suspect the root of the problem lies elsewhere.
Once I have decided I want something and that I am going to get it, the beast is unleashed. I scoff at the words, “No sir, we don’t have that in stock but we can order it for you.” Are you kidding? Hasta la vista, baby – off to the next store, the hunt is on. I will even accept a compromise now, rather than wait until next week for perfection. Not the quickest fox in the hunt?
I am not sure lower than average intelligence or moderate brain damage is at fault. The drive seems to come from deep within me, in spite of the fact that I know I am being none to smart. Is compulsivity and a touch of emotional immaturity part of the problem? Or is it that I am so uncomfortable with the present moment, that I am compelled to spice it up?  Am I seeking a high? Was I weaned to early? Do I need to get laid?
I dunno.
All I know is that being aware of this problem and sharing with others about it has already helped a ton. I am a little more accountable and when I say this stuff out-loud I can here the insanity of it. All I do know is that I can’t whip problems like these by myself and I am grateful that I have the support and help of so many friends. That is real gratification.

Hold that thought...
James

1 comment:

  1. In my case it's because I'm uncomfortable with ambiguity. I don't like not knowing. Before I got into recovery, I would regularly force outcomes even if it turned the outcome into a negative one for me. I just couldn't deal with not already knowing, having, being...whatever it was that I was hung up on. It didn't matter if it was things, a new place to live, relationships. My friend used to joke that my motto was "Everything NOW!" I couldn't deal with waiting.

    ReplyDelete