Friday, May 6, 2011

Sour Grapes

I found myself standing in front of a large, oil-on-canvas Norman Rockwell painting last night. I am not an Americana kind of guy. Which is probably just a case of sour grapes. There is nothing wrong with Americana, I just have never felt like an eligible candidate or welcome in that club.

This painting stood out from the others in the exhibit with their flat, graphic-illustration quality. It had dimension, warmth and a magnificent glow. The slightly overplayed light washed over an elderly couple - obviously gazing into a fireplace not included in the composition. The sat with serene faces, snuggling on their sofa. 

The woman’s face is what I cannot forget. The look of serenity - so pure and simple. I could only imagine the thoughts playing through her mind. As I looked at that peaceful face, I could not imagine resentment or regret in her ponderings. I could not detect any signs of self loathing or disappointment. There was not a flicker of condemnation or judgement.

She looked as if her thoughts must be uncomplicated, accepting and calm.

Sorry, Norman Rockwell or not, I don’t consider that Americana. I can imagine that experience on anyone’s face on this planet. We are all eligible. When I think I’m not, I am just deceiving myself. In the last few years, I have had a touch of what I saw on that woman’s face. I like it.

Hold that thought...
James

No comments:

Post a Comment