Thursday, June 9, 2011

Saint Kirstie Help Us

As I reached another personal best at the gym this morning, it really made me think about how this process has been so much like the process required to keep me from drinking.

Surrender had to come before I could overcome the resistance to, and the fear of walking into the gym for the first time. For me that happened on December 23, 2009 with a giant jar of homemade peanut brittle. Nearing the bottom of that jar, with peanut brittle caked in my teeth and grease on the roof of my mouth, I picked up the phone and called the fitness center. That was not an easy step for me. Gyms and I had been on bad terms ever since elementary school.

As I started working out, I realized that I was experiencing a real fear that I was going to keel over and have a heart attack or at least look like an idiot. But I kept going back and gradually built the faith that even though discomfort was part of the process, it was most likely not going to kill me.

Continuing to go on a regular basis was extremely hard for me and I fell short many times, and I am sure I will again. Maintaining the willingness to talk about it to others and pray for help has been indispensable for me. Many of my Facebook friends have had to read along with my struggles with getting back to the gym. It seems to help me to post when I am and when I’m not going. Not sure why - maybe accountability? Praying to St. Kirstie Alley, patron saint of the eternally struggling, aging pudgies may have been the saving grace, not sure.

The value of perseverance is something I have learned in recovery. With exercise, it has been the key. Not necessarily the perseverance to never miss a day, or a week or even a month, but the perseverance to keep going back, no matter what.

It has been almost a year and half since I started doing this thing. That is not a long time relative to many other folk, but for me it is amazing. I hate to sweat, I am a pansy and I am 50 freaking years old. I guess it is never to late to teach an aging, over-eating, quitting-smoking, alcoholic, neurotic, sissy dog new tricks.

I sure feel better.

Hold that thought...
James

1 comment:

  1. I hear you.

    Specifically what I hear is: "I screwed up but I still want to do this. It's painful to admit this but I'm going back and I'm starting over from where I actually am, not where I think I should be. I'm right where I'm supposed to be."

    What I'm not hearing is "Dammit! I screwed up. I will never get this! This is too damn painful! La-la-la I can't hear me. What's on TV? Do I still have another pint of B&J?"

    Big difference.

    ReplyDelete