Saturday, November 10, 2012

Zen of Technology

Going from okay with everything I have to desperately needing an upgraded iPad in order be peaceful and whole is a very short trip. Granted there is nothing wrong with buying oneself a trinket from time to time assuming you have the money to do it. But for us technoholics without mullah it is a different story. The purchase, I am fairly sure will not result in the Nirvana I seek.

Once the obsession sets in, no facts or rational thinking has any effective power against it. The sane words of friends are met with a multitude of rationalizations, such as "well obsessing over it is making me miserable anyway, so I might as well charge it and experience the regret and pain of debt. At least then I will still be disturbed but at least I will have a new toy to distract me from my self-created misery."

The problem is that the web-browser on my old device is painfully slow and keeps bombing. So, in a last ditch effort to avoid the none-to-smart purchase, I moved my desktop computer into the living room so I can sit my fat ass on the couch and be online. The result seems to be enough to stave off the craving another day. A bonus turned out to be blogging again. It has been so long. A happy ass helps me when I blog.

The one thing that seemed to penetrate my irrationality was readying a Facebook post from a friend that said her psychiatrist told her that "No, new boots were not the answer." That woke me a little from my material craving. I read it on my old, slow iPad.

I so exhaust myself sometime.

Hold that thought,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment